American Girl Science Fair Set
Whew! Was this a project or what?! I love a challenge and this craft gave me one. I always like to be honest and let you know if I think the craft is easy, simple, quick, etc. Let me tell you, this craft took a few more days than I had planned for it just because I made three telescopes before I settled on the final product. The first two should be in a bloopers post! But, that’s good news for you! I worked out all the flukes and now I can say that this craft is on the medium level. It is not that it is hard per say, it just takes a lot of patience. You have to paint, let dry, glue, let dry, mod podge, let dry, and repeat. It’s worth it! The first two models I made fell apart easily with play. Thank goodness I have little testers on hand! The telescope that I am sharing with you, is very sturdy and has been played with, knocked over, and set up with no issues!
- Sometimes in my crafts you can skip the Mod Podge. DO NOT in this one. Unless you are replacing it with something similar, the Mod Podge gives the Tri-Fold the American Girl version look and really completes the look of the telescope.
- If this set will be made and put on display only, then using hot glue for everything is actually ok. HOWEVER, if this set is made for play, use something strong to hold it together, such as E6000. Like I said above, tried and tested. Believe me, hot glue just won’t do.
- Use dowels to roll up the paper. Again, I should show you the ones I made without the dowels method, I could pass it off for my 3 year old making them ? I used medium for the trip-pod legs, large for the telescope body, and medium for the eye piece.
- Use a craft paint for the container lids that is made for plastics so it doesn’t rub off and then seal it.
- American Girl Science Fair Set Printables
- American Girl Science Fair Trifold Printable
- E6000 Glue
- Hot Glue Gun
- Scissors & Exacto Knife
- Recycled Cardboard Paper
- Craft Paint
- Mod Podge
- Paint Brushes
- Glue Stick
- Assorted lids (milk carton, juice, bubbles, pill bottle, glue stick, etc.)
- Assorted Dowel Rods
- Card Stock (I used blue and gray to replicate AG, but you can choose your own colors!)
- Clear marble, bead, jewel, or button (for lens)
- Wooden Spools
- Paper Fasteners
- Laminator, Contact Paper, or Tape (Optional, you can just Mod Podge over the printables)
Watch & Leave a comment please!
***Important***Please do not post, upload or sell these printables. These printables are property of AmericanGirlIdeas.com and are offered here for free. If you want to share these printables with a Facebook group, website, blog, or friend, you can simply link back to this post. Thank you.