American Girl Science Fair Set
American Girl Science Fair Set
Whew! Was this a project or what?! I love a challenge and this craft gave me one. I always like to be honest and let you know if I think the craft is easy, simple, quick, etc. Let me tell you, this craft took a few more days than I had planned for it just because I made three telescopes before I settled on the final product. The first two should be in a bloopers post! But, that’s good news for you! I worked out all the flukes and now I can say that this craft is on the medium level. It is not that it is hard per say, it just takes a lot of patience. You have to paint, let dry, glue, let dry, mod podge, let dry, and repeat. It’s worth it! The first two models I made fell apart easily with play. Thank goodness I have little testers on hand! The telescope that I am sharing with you, is very sturdy and has been played with, knocked over, and set up with no issues!
- Sometimes in my crafts you can skip the Mod Podge. DO NOT in this one. Unless you are replacing it with something similar, the Mod Podge gives the Tri-Fold the American Girl version look and really completes the look of the telescope.
- If this set will be made and put on display only, then using hot glue for everything is actually ok. HOWEVER, if this set is made for play, use something strong to hold it together, such as E6000. Like I said above, tried and tested. Believe me, hot glue just won’t do.
- Use dowels to roll up the paper. Again, I should show you the ones I made without the dowels method, I could pass it off for my 3 year old making them ? I used medium for the trip-pod legs, large for the telescope body, and medium for the eye piece.
- Use a craft paint for the container lids that is made for plastics so it doesn’t rub off and then seal it.
- American Girl Science Fair Set Printables
- American Girl Science Fair Trifold Printable
- E6000 Glue
- Hot Glue Gun
- Scissors & Exacto Knife
- Recycled Cardboard Paper
- Craft Paint
- Mod Podge
- Paint Brushes
- Glue Stick
- Assorted lids (milk carton, juice, bubbles, pill bottle, glue stick, etc.)
- Assorted Dowel Rods
- Card Stock (I used blue and gray to replicate AG, but you can choose your own colors!)
- Clear marble, bead, jewel, or button (for lens)
- Wooden Spools
- Paper Fasteners
- Laminator, Contact Paper, or Tape (Optional, you can just Mod Podge over the printables)
Watch & Leave a comment please!
***Important***Please do not post, upload or sell these printables. These printables are property of AmericanGirlIdeas.com and are offered here for free. If you want to share these printables with a Facebook group, website, blog, or friend, you can simply link back to this post. Thank you.
February 20, 2016 at 2:11 pm –
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I would have saved my money and had fun making it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ps. i <3 this website
August 7, 2015 at 10:52 pm –
I LOVE this set. We have a large telescope in our front window and I can see us setting up a doll one right next to it. I think this is our next project. Thanks! Great job!
July 24, 2015 at 10:22 pm –
I have to get started on this so I will go to the store tomorrow and buy the supplies to make this!
July 8, 2015 at 11:45 am –
July 8, 2015 at 11:44 am –
Looks just like American girl but special because it was homemade
July 8, 2015 at 11:55 am –
Thank you! It is special to us!
July 8, 2015 at 10:34 am –
Hi I also have a blog and like you I have a daughter who wants everything for AG Doll but they are pricey so I m glad I found your website and I have been taking a look at the things made for AG Doll…I really like them…
I was wondering if you come up with a way if possible you can post on how to make a vanity and chair for the AG Doll size I will do it too b/c that is what I m in need of…Please..! I will still try to find a way to make it and send you pics but we will have to share ideas… Hope to hear from you soon…..Thanks…!!!!
July 8, 2015 at 10:42 am –
Here is the link to the vanity I made: https://www.americangirlideas.com/american-girl-bathroom-vanity/
Also, if you are looking for more specific projects, just type what your looking for in the search box! It will show you if the craft has already been posted! Thanks ?
July 6, 2015 at 9:36 am –
I really want that!!! thanks for telling us how to do it and the printables!!!!
July 5, 2015 at 2:29 pm –
Hmm maybe you will need to build for the desk,and use recycled paper board for the little clipboards.Also make u could make some printables for the lunch menu,times table,and weekly schedule.But the chair would probably be hard to make,but I am sure u can do it!
July 5, 2015 at 12:45 pm –
This is craft is wonderful! I’m wondering if u can make the flip top desk from american girl because its a little pricey but if u make it,I would defiantly do it to!
July 5, 2015 at 12:46 pm –
Do you build? Or would it need to be a recycled craft like the science fair set?
July 8, 2015 at 9:06 am –
I will look into it. You are the third to ask, so I will see if it’s possible. I think the sports bench might come first though!
July 4, 2015 at 8:07 pm –
It looks just like the AG one!! Go girl!!
July 4, 2015 at 2:34 pm –
I’m blown away! ! It’s amazing.
July 4, 2015 at 2:28 pm –
July 4, 2015 at 12:00 pm –
This is such a cute set! You have so many wonderful ideas, we can hardly decide which craft to do next!
I think this one will be at the top of the list. That telescope is just too awesome!
July 4, 2015 at 11:23 am –
Thank you! Can’t wait to get started!
July 4, 2015 at 10:32 am –