Everywhere we go lately we see a slushie, snow cone, or Italian ice. It’s summer and that means a yummy flavored ice treat is perfect to keep you cool. We made a fun American Girl Doll Slushie Machine so our dolls can have a yummy summer drink too! This is a fairly simple craft, the longest part is just letting the slushies fully dry. We also showed some amazing custom slushies from Mimi N Dooze and you can find the link to their shop down below. Top quality I assure you!
Mimi N Dooze Shop
- American Girl ICEE Printables
- Slush Puppie Printables
- Glue Stick
- Small Box *Similar to OG accessory boxes in size
- Empty Large Tic Tac or Paint Containers *See substitutions below
- Oblong Beads *Like we used for the Hot Cocoa Stand
- Scrap Foam Board or Cardboard
- Craft Sand or Sea Salt
- Dimensional Magic or Resin
- Mini Stir Straws
- Long Toothpick or Popsicle Stick to Mix
- Corks or Communion Cups
- When you make the slushie cups, you have to seal the inside of the cup (paper) BEFORE adding the slushie mix. If you don’t the slushie mix will leak through the cup causing it to stain. It just makes the cup look oily from the outside. I learned the hard way. ? No big deal though, just apply a coat of glue or mod podge to the inside of the cup.
- For the ICEE brand we made three cup sizes. Small is the mini cork. Medium is the regular cork. Large is the communion cup.
- The thicker you make the slushie mix, the easier it is to work with it and for the dome shape, curved tip, or swirl on top. If the mixture is too runny, it will just sink flat and give you a muffin top.
- ICEE’s usually have a red straw. We didn’t have red on hand so we painted one with red nail polish and it worked perfect! No need to go get red if you don’t have it. Just use what you have. Also, Slush Puppie normally white with the red swirl.
- Do NOT fill up the round ICEE barrels (paint containers) full of slushie mix. Only put in enough to cover the front. That is all you will see. If you fill it up, one you don’t see it anyways and two it will be too heavy. Keep it as light as possible.
- When doing this craft using the dimensional magic was my favorite. My crew could use it without making a mess and it wasn’t sticky. The resin works just as well and gives it a slightly more wet look, but it is sticky to work with and I didn’t want the crew (kids) mixing it and touching it. We did have to touch the slushies to make the dome tops.
- We did mod podge the front of our slushie signs and cups. We just wanted to seal them so the print didn’t scratch off. If you don’t like Mod Podge, you can always laminate them OR cover the printables with packaging tape BEFORE applying them to the sign. This way you can cut any excess tape off and the back is still paper so a glue stick will work when putting them on.
- If you don’t have the paint containers, you substitute the round eye shadow containers. If you use the eye shadow containers, you won’t have to cut holes through the box, you can just glue them to the front once the “slushie” mix is put in them.